Friday, April 11, 2008

Knowledge is power - Part II on the benefits of Flash (warning! autobiographical in nature)

First a little about me:

- Have a B.A. in online journalism from the W. Page Pitt School of Journalism and Mass Communications/Marshall University
- Currently in school to obtain my associate degree in Web development

The reason I clarify?
Many people have a hard time understanding why, after receiving a B.A., I would return to get an associate degree.

Well, here's the reason:

I like computers. I have always liked computers. That sounds very generic, yes, but it's true. You see, I never learned how to work on cars, build houses, run electrical lines, or fix anything really. Exiting high school, my teachers considered me a decent writer. I have always liked to write...and draw. I also like to play guitar and write music. Historically, I have had absolutely no direction. I was slowly becoming a master of nothing, while semi-skilled in various arenas. I decided to become a reporter and change the world. I enrolled at WVU as a print journalism student, enjoyed 2 semesters and subsequently transferred to Marshall. At Marshall, I continued what would be a long journey to graduation. About 3/4 of the way through to graduation, I began to question my dedication to outstanding journalism on a 24 - 28,000 per year salary. I noticed the emergence of a new program at Marshall's J-school: Online Journalism. "This could be it," I said. The program change only set me back few credit hours, and I thought it might open the doorway to different, higher paying jobs.

Well, I got my degree, and shortly after receiving it, I "lucked out" and found a copy editor position at the Herald Dispatch. The job was beginner level, and paid $8 something and hour--not quite enough to pay off my school loans. After 6 months and several unfulfilled promises, I moved on. My dreams were bigger. I was beginning to to want for material things like electricity, water, and alright...nice clothes, vacations, etc. I guess age did that to me, because honestly, I used to not care.

I made plans right before the beginning of the Fall '07 semester, to return to school and pursue a degree in Web development. My logic: 1)It is only taking me a year and a half to get an associate degree; 2)It adds some flare/flair to the online journalism one; and 3)I'll probably make a lot more money as a Web developer.

After leaving the Herald Dispatch, I began vigorously searching for a job, a good job. I searched the job market for over a year. I searched out-of-state, in-state, everywhere. I had numerous interviews, typed about a hundred cover letters, submitted twice as many applications, and still had no job. I began to get discouraged. "Maybe I should have stayed at the HD. But, how am I supposed to make a living on 8 an hour?" The answer to this perplexing question is simple: It's bullshit. You should get paid more than a fast food clerk, however limited your experience, once you have a degree. Keep in mind, I wasn't looking for 20 an hour starting. I would have settled for 13 or 14. But $8? Come on. I can't pay my bills on that kind of money. My parents never stepped foot in college and they make over $20 an hour, and started at over $10 an hour in 1970 for the postal service.

So, I concluded that: 1)the economy is in really bad shape; 2)journalists are grossly under paid; 3)I have to lower my expectations.

My experience just isn't up to par yet, and I can cry all day about it, but it won't change the fact that employment is scarce and wages are not going up. In fact, most statistics support the idea that wages been at a near standstill for nearly 20 years.

Fortunately, I did get lucky and found an acceptable job in my home state of WV as a Web developer.

But don't let that encourage you too much. You see, living in West Virginia can be hard when you want to find certain work, like reporting, editing, or Web developing.

This gets me to my main point that's relative to Flash.

When I was interviewed my current job, I mentioned all of my skills and really beefed up myself...because that;s what you;re supposed to do. You sell yourself in interviews, and when job creation is down, you better do a good job. So, I mentioned my experience using Word, Excel, Publisher, Frontpage, Access, Photoshop, InDesign, QuarkXPress, Final Cut Pro, Dreamweaver, and of course Flash. I mentioned my knowledge of HTML, PHP, DBMS's. I submitted samples of published work, including designs and articles created using all of the above mentioned programs. And, I guess I gave a good interview, because they hired me.

The first few days at work, I wasn't sure what I would be doing exactly. I was tasked to write some HTML code and basically learn the everyday processes and business model. I have since emerged as the Flash guru, however limited my skills may be in Flash. The value of Flash is dependent on where you work, but also I think the value of Flash has yet to be recognized by many companies. I had to levy for my role in creating a slideshow by letting my superiors know that the job was something that could be done in Flash. Since then, I have proposed some new ideas using my knowledge of Flash and hope to continue having a bigger role in the actual Web design and animation using Flash.

It's interesting that while I work among 3 designers, another developer, I am the only one who knows anything about Flash. Now is a good time to learn Flash because not many people understand it, especially on an expert level.

Finally, (back to the job market), there are plenty of jobs emerging for people who know Flash and they pay pretty well. It takes dedication to learn Flash though. But, If you enjoy it like I do, learning it will not be a problem.

No comments: