Sunday, March 16, 2008

Retention is essential--second time learning better than the first

As I've noted before Flash is a dynamic program and, therefore, it's probably a good idea revisit the basics after a while...or just never stop using Flash. A few days ago, I noticed myself getting unfamiliar with some novice practices in Flash. So, I revisited the simple stuff. I noticed that I had an easier time learning the second time, and learned many new things as I dabbled with button creation, motion guides, rendering text, etc.

Though you may think you have a stranglehold on some elementary tasks in Flash, the program often surprises me. Just like with Photoshop and many other complex software programs, new Flash techniques can creep up on you at the least expecting times. My advice: try to master the small stuff, and even if you think you know it---revisit it. If I stay away from anything for too long I begin to forget pieces of the puzzle. Learning Flash is no different than learning a language. If you want to learn Spanish you have to practice it. If you want to learn Flash the same holds true.

1 comment:

LeahMo05 said...

I agree. It takes practice to master Flash. I'm sticking with what I know I can do until I get confident with other Flash skills.